My Story

Join me on a journey into the daily challenges faced in a refugee camp. Discover the resilience needed to overcome obstacles and the strategies for coping.

Yousef Timacade at Rabasso health center.
My name is Yousef Timacade, I grew up in Rabasso, an Ethiopian refugee camp where my family fled when the civil war in Somalia erupted in the 1990s. Living in a refugee camp means having to adapt to a harsh reality, the lack of basic amenities, overcrowding, and limited access to healthcare are just some of the challenges that test our strength, with limited access to food, clean water, and sanitation facilities, every day becomes a battle for survival. Rabasso is located about 150 kilometres east of Jigjiga. The environment was magnificent, surrounded by gentle hills and lush valleys. Its 28000-families population relied on UNHCR aid in the form of monthly dry food distribution and, on occasion, non-food items. Living in a camp comes with the constant fear of violence and uncertainty, making each day a fight for safety. The kids used to go swimming in Rabasso's dams and ponds. The majority of campers had animals that were grazed by children. Despite the fact that my family only had a few, I used to spend my weekends at the pastures and swimming ponds, Of course, they were dangerous, but the parents' main concern was that they were unable to keep us safe because of their challenging coping mechanisms; when the kids were in the risky ponds, parents were either busy with housework or went in search of food. 

Additionally, Rabasso had good outdoor sporting facilities, and each of us had our own ball made of socks and rolled-up rags. Later, at school, we were given good balls and were always divided into different teams, but we played barefoot. When it came to disciplining students, the teachers at the school were cautious and harsh. The students were placed on a table and beaten with sticks. When a child complains upon returning home, parents believe the teacher's punishment was appropriate. Teachers, however, had great teaching skills. Additionally, pupils learn more efficiently in particular subjects like physics, math, religion, and Arabic.

My father was adamant that we acquire an education, and he relished the opportunity to educate both his male and female children equally. Before the war, my father was a businessman in Hargeisa, but after losing everything, he was able to live by employing the numerous skills he already knew, such as tailoring, welding, and plumbing. So he tried to urge us to learn skills, but none of us did because we were all more interested in formal schooling. Despite the fact that I was his ninth child, he loved me to the point where I was constantly around him, soaking up his advice and suggestions.

I began learning English at a young age because it was my favourite subject, and I enrolled in RIDE (Rabasso Institute of Development Education), the Camp's sole English private school. My English teacher was a gifted and astute educator, and after two years of his instruction, I was able to communicate well in English.

When my father noticed how well I communicate it, he placed me in an internship as a translator at the health center, and I eventually became a permanent staff member as a nutrition assistant for the ARRA and UNHCR nutrition and feeding programs. I gained experience working with children under the age of five, as well as pregnant and lactating mothers, ensuring the nutritional status of the children in various feeding programs, which we categorize as blanket feeding for adequately nourished children, supplementary feeding for moderately malnourished children, and therapeutic feeding for severely malnourished children.

My trainers throughout my time as a health center nutrition worker in Rabasso were Tewodros Tefera, who left the job in my first year and went on to become a highly successful businessman, Minassie Bekele, Dr. Asmamaw Sisay, and Sahra Mohamoud. They provided me with valuable professional experience, counsel, and motivation. As a result, working with them drove me to think deeply and set life goals. Developing a resilient mindset helped me face adversity head-on, allowing me to navigate even the toughest challenges. As a result, after completing junior secondary school, I chose to quit my employment and further my studies. 

Despite the challenges, hope kept me motivated to work towards a brighter tomorrow. My optimism is stoked by possibilities for personal development and education, I continued my education in Jigjiga after leaving my employment, where I began two years of preparatory senior high school and four years of undergraduate degree studies. I used to be a young independent self-sufficient person, therefore becoming dependent on a family was challenging for me. I did, however, complete that six years and earn a bachelor's degree in management, Flexibility and the ability to adapt to the ever-changing circumstances were vital skills for my survival.

Throughout my career journey, I have navigated the intricate landscape of activism, human rights advocacy, and legal intervention in diverse communities within the Horn of Africa. My initial aim to work within Ethiopia's Somali Regional State was redirected by the tumultuous political climate and pervasive human rights violations. This redirection led me to Somaliland, where I fervently engaged in addressing societal challenges through grassroots activism and legal empowerment.

Commencing my journey as a Programme Officer for the Activists Network for Disabled People (ANDP) was a pivotal point. Here, I orchestrated initiatives advocating for disability rights and inclusive education. Collaborating with international bodies like the Abilis Foundation, I spearheaded programs fostering support for individuals with disabilities.

Somaliland's staggering unemployment rates prompted my involvement in the Somali Youth Livelihood Program-Shaqodoon, supported by USAID. This endeavor aimed to tackle the pressing need for employment opportunities among the youth. Contributing to youth development projects became a focal point, nurturing skills and vocational training to empower young adults.

Transitioning to the SIHA Network as a Projects and Advocacy Officer marked a significant phase in my trajectory. SIHA's commitment to women's rights in the Horn of Africa aligned with my passion for addressing systemic inequalities and violence against women and girls. Living amidst the intricacies of Somaliland's societal fabric granted me profound insights into the challenges hampering democratic growth and human rights protection. Witnessing the resilience of local communities in advocating for their rights invigorated my dedication to effecting positive change. My tenure within NGOs illuminated the remarkable efforts of frontline activists. It fueled my aspiration to contribute meaningfully to their causes, igniting a fervent commitment to driving impactful change.

Drawing from my professional experience in project management within humanitarian and human rights organizations, I discerned the urgent need to address multifaceted social issues, including poverty, discrimination, and violence. This impelled me to leverage my legal expertise in advocating for justice and societal transformation. As a lawyer, providing legal aid to marginalized communities highlighted the potency of law as a catalyst for change. However, navigating Somaliland's intricate legal frameworks and pluralistic judicial system presented formidable challenges, often hindering access to justice.

The prevalent issues of police brutality, gender biases, and systemic injustices underscored the urgent need for comprehensive legal reform and accountability mechanisms within Somaliland's legal infrastructure. Looking ahead, my unwavering commitment lies in championing human rights and democratic values. Establishing a network of legal practitioners stands paramount in addressing critical advocacy issues and fostering accountability.

Surviving and thriving in adversity demands unyielding resilience. By amplifying narratives and experiences, we illuminate the resilience of the human spirit, fostering hope for triumph over adversity. As an impassioned advocate, I see this career as not just a profession but a conduit to realizing my aspirations and effecting enduring societal change.

Comments

  1. Very a great story, I appreciate how you are start and still you doing your best career, hopefully wish you best .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journalists Rights Violated in Somaliland: A Call for Government Accountability

Somalilanders' struggle for a living and the Apathy of the Government.

Somaliland and Ethiopia Sign Historic MoU: Implications and Mutual Benefits

Uphill Battles: The Challenges Faced by Somali Female Journalists

The Silent Suffering: Stories of Somali Sexual Exploitation Survivors

The Destructive Impact of Clan Rivalry on Somaliland's Future

Somaliland's Healthcare Crisis: Profiteering Plagues a Struggling System, Driving Up Costs and Eroding Efficiency

Empowering Families: The Importance of Family Law